We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
I read about the upcoming Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival (September 30th through October 9th), and it reminded me of another hot air balloon festival I went to when I lived in Lubbock, Texas (during grad school).
What made this one especially cool was the fact that the balloons were floating over canyons filled with water:
But my friend Suzie (who was also at Texas Tech University the same time I was) recalls a similar experience when she and a friend went to a hot air balloon event that was called “Balloon Chase” in Lubbock.
If anyone can shed light on the particulars of this Lubbock area hot air balloon festival from which the following photos were taken, please do share…
Here’s the most comprehensive listing of Hot Air Balloon festivals across the U.S. I could find, but none of them seems like the one photographed above.
A Kaleidascope Of Colors Up High And Down Low
(… I guess it’s not so crazy after all. Here’s an article about viewing the Fall Foliage from a hot air balloon, a train, or an ATV!)
Just as fun times can be had can renting a Jeep or renting a pontoon boat, I think it’s high time (ha!) we consider renting a hot air balloon for a couple hours. And during the Fall seems like you’d get the most bang for your buck… after all, it is kind of pricey.
- Here’s a listing of places throughout the U.S. where you can go on hot air balloon rides.
- Who knew that you could fly anywhere in the USA for $199 per person with the U.S. Hot Air Balloon Team affiliates?!
More About The Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival
- The hot air balloon festival in New Mexico is also known as the “Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta“
- An event that began in 1972 now features more than 700 hot air and gas balloons ascending into the New Mexico skies and attracts visitors from around the world.
- The launch field is a 72-acre field called “Balloon Fiesta Park” where spectators can interact with pilots and their crews as they inflate and launch their balloons.
- The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is one of the Top 200 Events in the nation, according to Spread the Word Advertising.
- There are actually a series of hot air balloon races & competition events which the balloonists are participating in throughout this festival.
Fun Stuff About Hot Air Balloons
- How to estimate how far away a balloon is
- Add your own photo to this ever-changing gallery of hot air balloons
- Online video clips of hot air ballooning
- Decorate your space with hot air balloons
Crafty Tips For Making Your Own Homemade Hot Air Balloon
How to make your own tissue paper hot air balloons:
How to make hot air balloons using birthday candles:
Or, if you’re not into hot air balloon crafts and would rather buy one ready-made… check out these model hot air balloons that you can fly like kites!
What I Learned Today…
As a lifelong traveler, I like to help people find unique ways to do things that will save time & money — so I write about "outside the box" Travel Hacks that most wouldn't think of. I'm SUPER organized and I love to pack! I've lived in 6 different states (Florida, Indiana, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas) and have visited every other state in the U.S. — except Hawaii. (Can you say bucket list?) I've been on several different cruises, airplanes, and boats in my life and I currently enjoy the outdoors by bicycling, motorcycling, Jeeping, RVing, camping, or just walking my dogs. My favorite "hobby" is riding on the back of our Harley-Davidson Road Glide traveling cross country — which we usually do at least once each year. We even rode from Tennessee to Alaska once! When I'm not on the road, you will find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).