We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
For most of us, when we think of cruises a cheap Caribbean cruise probably comes to mind first.
Then you might imagine yourself on a fabulous Hawaiian cruise vacation.
They’re all pretty standard fare as, far as cruises go. You’ve got your endless buffets, dinner & dance with the ship’s captain, and port calls so you enjoy some time off the ship and buy trinkets to remember your trip.
Here’s an idea…
Why not try something different? There are definitely some alternative cruising destinations worth considering. Some might even classify them as adventure cruises.
For some reason, these types of cruises just don’t seem to get the same amount of advertising that the regional cruises do. I mean, when was the last time you saw an advertisement for an Antarctic cruise or an Arctic cruise? What about an exotic Amazon cruise or Nile River cruises?
Yes, Caribbean cruise vacations are fine, but there are plenty of other destinations to explore and enjoy. With that in mind, you may want to consider these alternative cruise destinations…
- River boat cruises – travel up the Mississippi (or other great rivers) on an authentic Paddle Wheeler.
- Cruise on a freighter – see exotic ports all over the world and explore them on a more personal level.
- Great Lakes cruises – see how the industrial might of our own country works… how goods travel to market.
- South Pacific cruises – Fiji, Guam, Tahiti… it’s a whole different culture on the small islands of the region.
- Intercoastal waterway cruises – take your own boat and travel around the eastern half of the country.
Here are some videos to whet your appetite and get you in the mood for some warm weather and blue skies:
One thing’s for sure… if you’ve never taken a cruise, then you haven’t lived. It’s an experience that you simply must do (at least once) before you die.
Ocean travel is a timeless way to enjoy the vastness of our world. Experiencing the open ocean will convince you just how large our planet is and the many wonders it contains.
With all these different cruise opportunities, there’s bound to be an exotic destination that you’ve waited all your life to visit. Now’s the time — while prices are down!
More Alternative Cruise Tips
- Cruise Critic
- Fodors Cruise Reviews
- 100 Best Cruise Vacations
- Cruise Reviews
- Take Your Dog On A Cruise!
- Cruise Addicts
- Cruisemates: Cruise Reviews
- 7 Ocean-Friendly Eco Cruises
I’ve been involved in RVing for 50 years now — including camping, building, repairing, and even selling RVs. I’ve owned, used, and repaired almost every class and style of RV ever made. I do all of my own repair work. My other interests include cooking, living with an aging dog, and dealing with diabetic issues. If you can combine a grease monkey with a computer geek, throw in a touch of information nut and organization freak, combined with a little bit of storyteller, you’ve got a good idea of who I am.