Between the cost of the trip itself, the motel, and don’t forget souvenirs, you can find yourself spending a lot of money. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
Here are 5 tips to save money when traveling:
- Know your airfare cycles and alternate routes. Just knowing this information ahead of time can save you lot of money when purchasing airline tickets.
- Rent an apartment or do a house swap instead of staying in a motel or hotel.
- Don’t use a local tour guide. It’s not legal, but some tour guides get kickbacks from the businesses they suggest to you. The cost can be much higher than even a few doors down.
- If you want to have souvenirs for your friends and family, either take photos or purchase from locally-owned stores. These stores will have lower prices and their souvenirs will actually be made there — rather than somewhere else as some of the “traditional” souvenir shops do.
- Don’t use traveler’s checks. Between the fees and exchange rates, if you are overseas it can end up costing you big time.
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.